Francesco Corman is professor of Transport systems at the Institute for Transport Planning and Systems (IVT). Previously professor at TU Delft and KU Leuven, he joined ETH in 2017. His main fields of research include operation and control of public transport systems, rail traffic management, logistics and maintenance.
His research focuses on four main research areas:
- Measurement, observation, description of public transport systems performance in operational conditions
- Prediction and optimization methods for transport systems, including public transport systems for the mobility of people; transport systems for the mobility of goods; the interaction with walking and cycling, human powered mobility
- Energy efficiency and (partially) autonomous operations of train systems
- Determining conditions for increasing transport system value by better monitoring and maintenance actions
- Determining impact and corrective actions in real life public transport systems under recurrent or exceptional perturbations, by means of surveys and experiments, game theory, and agent based models